Note: FOR THE DEFINITION OF 'CEU' and 'PDH' when earned on this site, CLICK HERE.
THE GOALS OF COURSE 5L:
'Are We Boring? Not On This Web Site!'
Jump to Course 3B in the Catalog - 'Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency Treatment - The Big Transition'
a.k.a., "The Big Transition in the AOD Field: Assessment of 'Need For Treatment' and 'Treatment Interventions' - How They've CHANGED!'
For those of you who are providing traditional addiction services, and struggling daily with the criteria for obtaining those services - have you seen some particularly disconcerting changes lately?
Is your Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency contractor wanting something different in the way of treatment for your clients? Like, less intensive services? Shorter stays? Fewer clients authorized for the treatment you think they need? Wondering how to survive these shifts?
This course addresses the 'nitty gritty' of major programmatic, therapeutic, and philosophical changes taking place within the traditional Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) treatment culture, due to a new health care environment. Material applies to single AOD diagnosis and to Dual MH-AOD diagnoses.
The course offers a bird's eye view of how ASSESSMENT of the NEED for TREATMENT - and HOW we DELIVER treatment - have changed under Managed Care and other insurance plans . . . and how to constructively adapt when it's ethically possible.
We also provide an understanding of HOW the MCOs make those controversial treatment decisions for substance abusing and chemically dependent individuals during the CARE MANAGEMENT or Utilization Review (UR) process - and how to ASK for 'WHAT' from the MCO's care manager, to maximize your chances of getting what your clients need.
Need Ethics? Ours Are Approved - and Very Non-Traditional!
We have 2, 3, and 4 Hour ETHICS Courses that are very different - the ethics of DOCUMENTING the treatment you do, in your clients' treatment records under the new Health Care Reform environment. And a course which is appropriate for persons service HIV-AIDS patients, who need assistance in Advance Directives.
Click here for Course 2B in the Catalog For something different . . . this course shows how to DOCUMENT both your assessment of need for CD-SA-AOD treatment, and the treatment you deliver - in a way that reduces the chance that your request to provide a particular treatment will denied, and/or that already-paid claims will be 'RECOUPED' by the MCO.
If you are looking for a very different and highly informative 3 Credit Hour Assessment and Diagnosis course, take "Beyond The Yellow Legal Pad" - How to perform a BIOPSYCHOSOCIAL and RISK ASSESSMENT of Dual Diagnosis Children and Adolescents, with minimal professional vulnerability or risk of legal or civil liability. Learn to avoid the 'performance traps' that even the best and most experienced clinicians oftentimes fail to recognize.
For providers in Texas, this course also ensures that your records reflect clear compliance with the TEXAS TRAG, the UA assessment instrument ratings, and the Level of Care you request!
MiniCourse 3B Goals/Focus for Learning:
1. Understand the new 'care managed' treatment arrangements and how they affect us and our clients, and our referral patterns
2. Know the essential clinical shifts imposed upon the AOD treatment professional and traditional CD programming, under a care management system
3. Understand the changing expectations for documentation in service records.
4. Know some workable and creative service options which may be negotiated with health care contractors - and how to maximize the provider's autonomy in referral and treatment decisions.
5. Know how AOD treatment and intervention programs and individual service plans are designed, within the new health care reform environment, and what will likely be approved by the contractor.
6. Understand HOW the health care contractors make those controversial treatment DECISIONS for substance abusing and chemically dependent individuals - and HOW TO ASK for 'WHAT' in terms of services and/or referral for your clients with AOD issues.
Are you a US Department of Transportation (DOT) SAP needing to renew your license/certification? You can get your 12 hours of relevant CE here. Read on below for the three courses which we recommend.
DOT does not specify the continuing education courses for SAP renewal other than that they must be 'relevant to your performance of SAP duties'. On page 4 of the DOT Substance Abuse Professional Guidelines, DOT defines the type of CE which is required for SAP license renewal: "Continuing Education: During each three-year period following satisfactory completion of your training and examination, you must complete at least 12 professional development hours (e.g., Continuing Education Units) relevant to your performing SAP duties."
Three courses on our site would be particularly relevant to your DOT SAP license renewal:
1. AOD Course 5H - Alcohol Problems in Intimate Relationships: Identification and Intervention with Families and Couples (5 credit hours) - is particularly relevant for working with individuals who are not readily admitting to an alcohol problem. This course includes multiple standardized and empirically validated AOD ASSESSMENT FORMS which may be saved and printed on your computer for personal use. (Whether you decide to enroll in this course and take the quiz or not, you can download these forms for free.)
2. Course 4J - Anger Management for Substance Abuse and Mental Health Clients: A Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Manual - one of our most popular courses.
3. Course 3B - Addiction & Substance Abuse Treatment - 'The Big Transition' This course is relevant to your SAP duty which requires you to develop and recommend a treatment plan for those whom you evaluate. The course addresses how the traditional treatments and recommendations for AOD Abuse have changed under health care reform ('Managed Care') - and how clinicians can document the need for treatment in a way that will be approved by Care Managers in both public and commercial health care plans.
You can find these courses at the bottom of the Addiction Catalog - CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE ADDICTION CATALOG COURSE LIST.
You should have no problems in terms of the acceptability of these courses for DOT credit. All of the courses in our Substance Abuse catalog are approved by the Texas Certification Board of Addiction Professionals (TCBAP) and by the Texas Association of Addiction Professionals (TAAP). TCBAP-TAAP is an IC&RC Member Board, and as a certified CE provider for TAAP (#1877-12), our course credits are automatically accepted by NAADAC and by all branches of the US Military. CLICK HERE to read about the NAADAC acceptance of our credits
NOTICE: Complaints about provider or workshop content may be directed to the TCBAP Standards Committee, 1005 Congress Avenue, Ste. 460, Austin, Texas 78701, Fax No. (512) 476-7297.
We present relevant, fresh insights to the new health care environment, for discriminating mental health and substance abuse treatment providers - 'round the clock! 24/7.
What we offer: Superior customer service, seven days per week including holidays. Instant certificates to download and print. Free-to-view PDF courses and dynamic slide shows that are easy to scroll through and absorb. And it's ALL ONLINE - courses, quizzes, & certificates. No need to mail off or fax or wait for anything.
All content on this site is Copyright (c) 2006-2011 by Pendragon Associates and/or CEU by Net
COMMENTS FROM OUR CUSTOMERS
"Your staff person who called me was wonderful!! Great presentation, as always." - P. W., Herod, IL
"This course was very helpful in not only attaining my CEUs but also I gained wonderful information. Thank you for such a good online course." - J. G, OK City, OK
"Thank you for your patience. I am not a computer whiz. I can even access the classes here at work with a schlup computer." -J.V., Portland, OR
"I am taking a class on a different site concurrently with yours. I will sign up for your one year program. The deciding factor is your customer service: Over a weekend and holiday, it's has been impeccable, and more than I would have expected. ... Customer service tells a customer more about the company's ethics than anything else." - R.M., Los Angeles, CA.
"I'm very well satisfied, not only with the IT staff but also by the quality of the courses."- B.K. - Fort Collins, CO
"Very user friendly. I appreciated that I was able to continue where I left off after getting distracted with other activities." - B.H.N. - Houston, TX
"Thank you so very much for doing the research on my board approval question. With your help, I have completed the 30 hours of CEU training I need for this licensing period at an incredibly low price!" - D. D., Sanford, NC
"I wish all companies had EXCELLENT customer service like what I have gotten today! Customer service goes such a long way in today's society!" - C.G., Paw Creek, NC
"Thank you immensely for your immediate action on this. Please commend