Note: FOR THE DEFINITION OF 'CEU' and 'PDH' when earned on this site, CLICK HERE.
If you are already involved in a public sector managed care conversion, be prepared to shout YES! - or maybe NO! - as you scroll through our no-holds-barred slides and humorous artwork. Who says that Continuing Education has to be boring? Take this course! Avoid the pain of Health Care Reform.
So What's This Course 4A About? 'This is Managed Care - and Its Impact on YOU!' a.k.a. 'It's Not Your Grandpa's Chevy! It's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!'
WANT A FAST TO-THE-POINT DESCRIPTION of what's covered in this course? Just hop on over to our course catalog now and take a look. If you want a detailed look at this course, just click the link in the catalog and we'll bring you right back to this page. Or .... just read on!
If you are a social worker, LPC or other licensed counselor, LMFT, LCDC, Social Worker or other mental health or substance abuse treatment provider, and are concerned about Managed Care - particularly RISK BASED MANAGED CARE - this online Continuing Education (CE) FlexiCourse is timely and relevant. It's inexpensive. It's fast-paced, in a PDF slideshow format.
This online CEU course provides an unvarnished view of what has CHANGED due to the coming of Managed Care to the Mental Health (MH) and Chemical Dependency (CD) / Substance Abuse (SA) treatment fields - including what can go WRONG in Managed Care plans, and what type of Provider Agreements to seek out and which to avoid. The course also provides specific detail about the 4 core elements which determine your client's eligibility for the service you are requesting, i.e., the 'Medical Necessity of Treatment'. THIS is the main issue with which providers struggle, under the new Health Care Reform! Understand it, today!
This Managed Care Course (FlexiCourse 4A) earns 6.25 credit hours (4.25 for NBCC and BBS). It contains the first 2 modules from FlexiCourse 5A. Bite-sized portions of this course are found in MiniCourses 1B and 1C.
WHAT OTHER COURSES PERTAINING TO MANAGED CARE DO WE OFFER?
Click below on the links, to read more about each. Check the course catalog to determine the number of Credit Hours earned.
Or you can jump directly to the Managed Care Catalog.
Free Course 1B - Managed Care Overview
Course 1C - That 'Capitation Thing' and YOU!
Ethics 4D - The Ethics of Treatment DYocumentation and Other Ethical Dilemmas When Insurance Is Paying The Bill
Ethics 3D - The Ethics of Treatment Documentation When Insurance Is Paying The Bill
FlexiCourse 4A - This Is Managed Care - and Its Impact on YOU!
FlexiCourse 5A - Welcome to Care Management! Do They REALLY Need Treatment?
Course 2B - They're Coming to Audit WHEN?
Course 2C - We Have to Change WHAT?
Course 3A - Managed Care - Is There Anything GOOD About It?
Course 3B - Addiction & Substance Abuse Treatment: 'The Big Transition'
CEU FlexiCourse 4A contains the course materials for two (2) separate CE certificates:
- One CE certificate totaling 1 Clock Hour of CE Credit, "Module 101 - Managed Care In Public Health Programs: It's Not Your Grandpa's Chevy!" . . . and
- One CE certificate totaling 3 Clock Hours of CE Credit, "Module 201 -- The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Managed Care Contracts, Including Clinical and Programmatic Options for Professionals"
You may earn both online CEU Certificates now, or you may wish to delay earning one or both of the certificates for up to one year after purchase of the course -- whenever you need them most! It's your choice!
Module 101- FlexiCourse 4A - Managed Care In Public Health Programs: It's Not Your Grandpa's Chevy!
This fast-paced colorful slide presentation gives you a basic, no-holds-barred introduction to the most common problems occurring in behavioral health managed care programs which are put into place by State Government, such as Medicaid, Medicare, and Substance Abuse (SA) Block Grant conversions . . . coming on strong all over the country.
- Intro to Goals and Objectives of Behavioral Health Managed Care - 'Why Are They Doing This to Us?'
- What can go wrong - at both the MCO end and the Provider end and within the delivery system?
- Understanding RISK BASED MANAGED CARE - 'Capitation' Contracts (the primary type of State Managed Care Contract including Medicaid) - and the MAJOR ways that they impact providers in both clinical and financial ways.
- Intro to the important clinical concerns and opportunities for treatment providers under a managed care contract. back to top
Are there different kinds of Managed Care plans? Yes indeed. There's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - for the Managed Care companies AND for the providers! But we don't just throw you out there - we identify those plans that are 'mostly safe' (like Fee for Service and Case Rates) vs. those that are 'nerve wracking' vs. those with 'don't even think about it!' written all over them.
1. Understanding the impact of this new health care approach upon providers.
2. Review of 'What's a Capitation Contract' - the primary type of State-HMO managed care contract used in Medicaid and Medicare managed care conversions. Can it possibly work? Yes. And what about FEE FOR SERVICE?
3. Understanding a couple of other Managed Care designs - one is The Good, and one The Truly Ugly (Watch Out! Run Fast!).
4. And should providers take on ANY of these high-risk arrangements, working as a provider for an HMO? Or as the 'substitute' for an HMO? What kind of risk are they taking? And can they succeed in any of these arrangements? (Answer: Yes.)
5. How does Managed Care affect the way that we deliver treatment to Mental Health and Chemical Dependency clients? Here's some creative service options for treatment providers which allow more autonomy.
Providing Dependable and Affordable Online Continuing Education
For Discriminating Behavioral Health Professionals
All content on this site is Copyright (c) 2006-2017 by Pendragon Associates and/or CEU by Net
COMMENTS FROM OUR CUSTOMERS
"Your staff person who called me was wonderful!! Great presentation, as always." - P. W., Herod, IL
"This course was very helpful in not only attaining my CEUs but also I gained wonderful information. Thank you for such a good online course." - J. G, OK City, OK
"Thank you for your patience. I am not a computer whiz. I can even access the classes here at work with a schlup computer." -J.V., Portland, OR
"I am taking a class on a different site concurrently with yours. I will sign up for your one year program. The deciding factor is your customer service: Over a weekend and holiday, it's has been impeccable, and more than I would have expected. ... Customer service tells a customer more about the company's ethics than anything else." - R.M., Los Angeles, CA.
"I'm very well satisfied, not only with the IT staff but also by the quality of the courses."- B.K. - Fort Collins, CO
"Very user friendly. I appreciated that I was able to continue where I left off after getting distracted with other activities." - B.H.N. - Houston, TX
"Thank you so very much for doing the research on my board approval question. With your help, I have completed the 30 hours of CEU training I need for this licensing period at an incredibly low price!" - D. D., Sanford, NC
"I wish all companies had EXCELLENT customer service like what I have gotten today! Customer service goes such a long way in today's society!" - C.G., Paw Creek, NC
"Thank you immensely for your immediate action on this. Please commend